Our website uses cookies to help provide you with a good experience when you browse our website and to distinguish you from other users.

Learn more about our cookies policy here.

Accept and continue >

International concerns

>View video in a new window

What do I do if I want to move abroad permanently with my child?

In many cases of ‘international divorce’ (meaning divorces affected by international issues), one parent may wish to take their child abroad to live permanently in another country.

However, if you wish to leave the UK to live in another country with your child, you must seek agreement from any person who has parental responsibility, which is usually the other parent. If the other parent will not agree then you will need to apply to the court for permission to take your child permanently to live abroad. This is called an application for “permission to remove from the jurisdiction”.

MaximizeInternational relocation - what should I do first?

MaximizeHow can I increase my chances of succeeding with my application for relocation?

MaximizeWhat if I want to just move elsewhere in the UK?

MaximizeCan I take my child abroad?

MinimizeInternational divorce lawyers

International divorce can result in complicated and demanding situations, especially when children are involved. We recommend you contact an experienced international divorce lawyer to help you find the best outcomes for you, your children, and the other parent.

To speak to one of Mills & Reeve’s expert international divorce lawyers, call 0344 880 2966.