Our website uses cookies to help provide you with a good experience when you browse our website and to distinguish you from other users.

Learn more about our cookies policy here.

Accept and continue >

Court applications for children

What should I do first?

Unless there is a good reason not to, anyone wanting to make any court application is required to attend a mediation information assessment meeting (MIAM) to obtain information about all the options available to resolve the dispute, for example, mediation, collaborative law, solicitor negotiation and litigation. You will usually attend a MIAM separately from your partner.

You and/or your partner may not need to attend a MIAM. If your application is urgent or there are reasons such as domestic abuse that make mediation or other dispute resolution options inappropriate, you can go straight to court. However, if the court is not happy with your failure to attend a MIAM, the case can be adjourned for one to take place.

If you have been to MIAM and your case has been assessed as not suitable for mediation for some reason, your mediator will confirm this on your application form (or sometimes separately on a form called FM1) . This shows the court that you have explored alternatives to proceedings.

MaximizeWhat happens next?

MaximizeWhat happens after I make the application?

MaximizeWhat will happen at a final hearing?

How to communicate effectively

To help you to communicate effectively with your former partner when resolving disputes, we have partnered with iMA Strategies to identify which communication and engagement style you have. 

> Take the questionnaire