Our website uses cookies to help provide you with a good experience when you browse our website and to distinguish you from other users.

Learn more about our cookies policy here.

Accept and continue >

Court orders

What can the court order?

Under section 8 of the Children Act 1989, following an application by either parent, an application by another (e.g. a grandparent) in specific cases, or on its own initiative, the court can make a range of different orders to regulate the private arrangements for children. These can include: 

  • a child arrangements order setting out where a child is to live (residence) and with whom a child is to spend time (contact)
  • a specific issue order requiring a positive action, such as enrolment at a particular school
  • a prohibited steps order preventing some action or step, such as a parent changing a child’s name

The court can also make a parental responsibility order.

MaximizeWhat is the role of Cafcass?

MaximizeWhat other experts may be involved in children proceedings?

MaximizeWhat financial applications can I make for my child?